If you have a HootBooth EventPro (any model that uses a DSLR camera) and you use Photo Booth Upload as your software, you can add a webcam to add the AR FX functionality. You will need the following:
- A USB webcam (almost any model will work - we recommend the Logitech C920 or C922). The drivers should auto-install when you plug the webcam into an open USB port on your photo booth, just follow the prompts
- The Snap Camera software. This is free, you may download it here
How you mount the webcam is entirely up to you. You can mount it on a tripod next to the booth, or on the top of the booth. The camera mounts with a 1/4-20 screw, you just need to drill a small hole in the top of the booth. You may need some washers to get a tight fit.
Once you have the Webcam drivers and Snap Camera installed on the booth, perform the following steps:
- Change Windows Permissions to allow Snap Camera to retain settings. In the Windows search bar, type UAC. Click 'Change User Account Settings'. A window will open (shown below). Move the slider down to the very bottom and click 'OK'
- Open Snap Camera, and set your webcam as the desired camera. To do this, click on the Settings icon (this looks like a small gear at the top right). Choose your camera, then click Back.
- Now open Photo Booth Upload. Browse to the Camera tab and the Video Device as Snap Camera
Set Up AR FX
- Navigate to the AR FX tab of PBU settings and click Create New. This will bring up a window allowing you to search for and select AR FX from the Snap Camera app. (Note: You may need to enable this tab in the 'Misc' tab)
- Find the one you like by either scrolling through the choices or typing in the search field., click it, rename it in the Name field (optional), and click OK.
- Like our other activations, you can set AR FX to Auto Apply or User select. For this tutorial choose Auto Apply and click the Select button on your newly created AR Effect.
- Click OK and click the Photo button. Your AR FX should be applied to your photo! Enjoy!
Show Effect On/Off button
Enabling this feature adds a button that allows you to toggle the AR Effect on or off. You'll find it to the left of the image thumbnails after selecting your activation.
You can also click or tap the live view area on the main screen to activate or deactivate the AR Effect. Doing so will also trigger effects if included with that particular Snapchat Lens.
Show Effect Code
This feature will add the Snapchat Lens code to the image on the bottom right corner. That way your guests can scan the code with the Snapchat app and use the same one.
Note: It is currently only possible to show the Effect Code on the bottom right corner of the image.
AR FX will work like a filter in PBU. When capturing a photo/video/GIF you'll select the activation, then select the filter. AR FX works the same way.
Go to the Green Screen tab, change Green Screen Mode to User Select, and select a couple green screens. Then hit OK. If you have multiple AR FX selected, you'll pick one after selecting the green screen you want to use. Same goes for GIFs and videos!
Creating your own lenses
You can use Snapchat's Lens Studio software to create and publish your own lenses to use in PBU. Note, that only 'popular' lenses are available via PBU and Snap Camera on the PC. For more information head to Snapchat's Lens Studio Page and Community.